A completed application includes:
- Completed application form
- Attached resumé detailing your work, extracurricular and volunteer/service experience
- Three letters of reference – mentor/personal; academic/professional; someone you have lived with (preferably not a family member)
Step 2: Virtual or in-person interview
Should your application and references be accepted, we set up a virtual or in-person interview. Interviews are divided into two portions – the first portion is with VVC staff, and the second is with work placement staff. If you are able to interview in-person, this time also includes a tour of our St. Vincent de Paul Outreach Center, as well as the Volunteer house.
Step 3: Offer and onboarding
An official placement offer is extended to you upon successful matching with a placement position within our Outreach Center within two weeks of each deadline.
If accepted, we begin the process of onboarding you to begin your service year as a Vincentian Volunteer of Cincinnati, including background checks and paperwork required to process your eligibility for the AmeriCorps Education Award you receive upon completion of the program.
Meeting your community
In the summer, you are introduced to your new community members, and have the opportunity to communicate with each other prior to orientation in August.
Move in and orientation
- Move-in day is on the Sunday before Orientation week (see above for current year date).
- Airport, Greyhound or Megabus pick-up is made available (VVCs are responsible for travel into Cincinnati).
- We officially begin our time together with a simple community dinner that evening, before Orientation week officially begins the next day.
- Orientation runs through the course of the week, closing with time at the SVDP Outreach Center on Friday, providing the opportunity to meet your colleagues before the first official full day of work the coming Monday.
Jump into your first full day at your work placement after Orientation week, which includes worksite orientation and position training. There may be some training courses required for the VVC to participate in, which is offered upon beginning your year of service.
Vincentian Volunteers of Cincinnati
Charissa Qiu, VVC Program Manager
Society of St. Vincent de Paul
1146 Bank Street
Cincinnati, OH 45214
513-562-8841, ext. 239